At the YMCA you are not just a member; you’re part of our family. To ensure the safety and comfort for all, we have prepared the following policies and guidelines to make your experience as pleasant and rewarding as possible. We go to great lengths to outline all rules and policies to ensure the comfort and safety of you, your family and other members. Because it is impossible to foresee or communicate every situation that may arise, we reserve the right to amend or add a policy/operating rule to ensure the safety and comfort of all. We understand that consistency among our branches is a cornerstone of our business practice and want you to be met with the same guidelines, regardless of which Y location you visit. However, due to varying facility designs, space and amenities, from time to time, you may see a variation to a rule or policy between centers. Please ask if you have any questions.
For Your Safety
Your membership card is non-transferable. Members sharing cards with others may have their membership terminated.
YMCA Policy prohibits sex offenders from accessing YMCA facilities. In order to ensure the safety of our children, we regularly compare our membership database to the National Registry of Convicted Sex Offenders and terminate the membership and/or access rights of anyone registered
Upon entering our facilities, any visitor 16 and older, will be required to present a valid government issued ID, which will be scanned into the system. This information is compared to the national database of registered sexual offenders. Once cleared, the individual may enter the facility. (Raptor Visitor Management System)
Acceptable forms of identification include:
- State Driver’s license/State Photo ID card
- Resident Alien ID card
- Military ID
- Passport ID card
- Mexican Consulate card
It is important to note that out system only exports the individual’s name, date of birth and photo for comparison against the national database. No additional visitor data from the driver’s license is gathered nor is the system connected to any other system such as the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Member Code of Conduct
The YMCA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all. (Member Code of Conduct)
At all times while in our facility and participating in our programs, please respect the rights and dignity of others, act maturely, and behave responsibly.
The use of cell phones and other devices with photo and video capabilities are strictly prohibited in the locker room, showers, saunas, and bathroom areas. Violating this policy will result in an immediate loss of membership and potential prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
The actions listed below are also among those considered inappropriate within our facilities and during our programs:
- Using or possessing alcohol or illegal chemicals on YMCA property, in YMCA vehicles, and at YMCA-sponsored programs.
- Smoking on YMCA property — the YMCA and its property are a smoke-free environment.
- Carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon. (see YMCA Weapons policy)
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any type of menacing behavior.
- Physical contact with another person in an angry, aggressive or threatening way.
- Verbally abusive behavior, including angry or vulgar language, swearing, name-calling, and shouting.
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior.
- Any sexual contact with another person.
- Inappropriate, immodest or sexually revealing attire.
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property.
- Loitering within or on the grounds of the YMCA.
The YMCA reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been accused or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse; is or has been a registered sex offender; has ever been convicted of any offense relating to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or habit forming and/or dangerous drugs; or is presently or habitually underthe influence of dangerous drugs or chemicals, narcotics, or intoxicating beverages.
Most importantly, if you SEE any behavior you consider to be inappropriate or suspicious, SAY something to a YMCA Staff Member immediately. Please identify yourself to staff when asked and allow us to be of assistance when needed. Members and guests should not hesitate to notify a staff member if assistance is needed. The YMCA will investigate all reported incidents.
The possession or carrying of any deadly or offensive weapon by any person is prohibited in any YMCA building, property, owned, leased or used. Entry on YMCA property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden and will result in the individual being directed to remove the weapon immediately from YMCA property. Failure to comply will result in a revocation of YMCA privileges both immediate and future.Deadly or offensive weapons are defined as any device whose design and/or implementation may produce death or serious bodily injury. Deadly and offensive weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms and offensive weapons as defined below:
Offensive weapons: Offensive weapons include any devices so defined under the Pennsylvania Crimes Code entitled ‘Prohibitive Offensive Weapons” 1 8 Pa.C.S.A. 908(c).
Firearm: A firearm is any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
Certified and sworn municipal, state or federal police officers who carry proper identification and are on duty are exempt from this policy. (Weapons Policy)
Recreational Swim Policy
The YMCA is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable pool experience for all. Anyone under the age of 16, prior to swimming in the pool, must complete the YMCA swim skills assessment and be assigned a red, yellow or green swim-band. These bands help our certified lifeguards keep our swimmers safe. See the full Aquatic Swim Safety Testing Policy.
RED BAND – Individuals who do not wish to participate in or do not pass the swim skills assessment will be given a red swim band. Red Banded swimmers will be required to:
• Have active, adult (18+) supervision within arms-length at all times while in the water.
• Wear a U.S. Coast Guard Approved flotation device (PFD), except for PFD FREE swim times. • Only swim in the shallow area of the pool.
YELLOW BAND – A yellow band establishes that the swimmer is shallow water competent and allows swimmers to swim in the shallow area without a PFD. Yellow Banded swimmers will be required to:
- Have adult (18+) supervision at all times from either in the water or from the pool deck.
- Only swim in the shallow area of the pool
To receive a Yellow Band, swimmers must demonstrate the following skills:
- Float on back for 30 seconds and regain vertical position on their own.
- Swim half the length of the pool, on stomach, unassisted.
GREEN BAND – A green band allows swimmers to use entire pool (shallow and deep ends). Green Banded swimmers, under the age of 12, will be required to:
- Have adult (18+) supervision at all times from the pool deck.
To receive a green band, swimmers must demonstrate the following skills:
- Jump in deep water and return to the surface.
- Swim the length of the pool, unassisted, with either front crawl or breaststroke.
- Float on back for 30 seconds and regain vertical position on their own.
- Tread water for one minute with ears and face above water at all times.
- Exit the pool without assistance.
Our Pools will CLOSE during Lightning, Thunder and Violent Storms
The procedure to close for safety during lightning, thunder violent storms is recommended by the YMCA of the USA, The National Lightning Safety Institute, The American Red Cross and our local insurance provider.
“The American Red Cross and the National Lightning Safety Institute continue to recommend the proactive action of removing swimmers from indoor pools as a lightning or violent storm approaches, and until after it passes. We understand that people come to indoor pools to have fun and avoid weather related situations; however we must also remain diligent in clearing the indoor pools during thunderstorms. For the safety of indoor pool swimmers, we are retaining our stance and will continue to endorse the clearing of indoor pools during a thunderstorm”. – YMCA of the USA
“Indoor pool facilities are connected to a much larger surface area through underground water pipes, gas lines, and electric and telephone wiring. If lightning strikes the ground anywhere on this metallic network, it may induce shocks elsewhere. It is recommended to wait at least 30 minutes after the last sound of thunder before resuming aquatic activities.” – National Lightning Institute
The YMCA is dedicated to the health, safety and well-being of our members, and staff. In the event of an Emergency Management Storm Warning (EMS) and/or direct lighting in the vicinity of the Y, we will clear the pool and surrounding deck for a minimum of 30 minutes. The length of closure may adjust as conditions dictate.
In an effort to reduce any inconvenience to our members we will begin using our mobile app and our web site to communicate pool closings that result from inclement weather. Watch our social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) , or our mobile app for iPhones and Android phones. We will post closings as quickly as possible.
If there are storms in the area, we recommend you check one of these resources before heading to the YMCA for a swim. We will make our best effort to post information related to closings as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your understanding. We strive to provide a safe and enjoyable facility for our members.
This member benefit has been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19
Guest passes are for our members’ convenience. We encourage you to share the Y with your friends by bringing them with you. Below are some things you want to know about Guest Visits at our Y: Guest Pass Policy
- All guests must be accompanied by a member at all times.
- Full Privilege Members, 18+, are issued four (4) complimentary guest passes per year.
- Guests, under the age of 18, MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- Guests are limited to general use of the facility.
- Adult basketball (RY facility) is restricted to Full Privilege Members only, at all times.
- Wellness Center use limited to guests 15 years and older.
- Child Watch is for Full Privilege Members only.
- Some other facility use restrictions may apply, please check with the branch you are visiting.
- No guests may use the Ridley brach after 6pm on Monday & Wednesday evenings
- For safety reasons, All Open Swim times are for Y-Members Only, unfortunately no guest will be allowed.
Proper Identification for Guests – All guests are required to show a valid, government-issued photo-ID (state ID/driver’s license). All guests must complete and sign the liability waiver prior to their visit. Guests will also be registered in the membership software and have their picture taken and saved to their guest account.
Guest Pass Liability & Indemnity Waivers – All guests must complete a Guest Pass Liability Waiver. Guests, under the age of 18, must have a parent/legal guardian complete and sign the liability waiver prior to their visit.
Credits & Refunds
- Member satisfaction is our priority.
- All credits will expire after one year from date issued to a member’s account.
- Program fees will be credited/refunded if the YMCA cancels a program due to insufficient enrollment. When a class is cancelled due to low enrollment, we will make every effort to accommodate your needs.
- A credit may also be issued for the following reasons:
- If the YMCA is notified before classes begin, 100% credit/refund.
- Credits will be pro-rated based upon date, and after the third week of class, no credit will be issued.
- Deposits specific to programs such as Child Care or Day Camp are non-refundable.
- Membership payments will not be credited or refunded for non-usage. YOU must submit a credit card/bank cancellation form to cancel your bank draft
- The YMCA will grant either a refund of the remainder of membership dues or an extension of membership renewal date without processing fees.
- Joining fees are non-refundable.